Saturday 1 March 2014

Fermenting flop, Weekly Recipe: Lacto-fermented Carrots and Ginger

So I can't seem to get the hang of this fermenting lark!

My second try had had to go in the bin, again!

My first go was with sauerkraut, but I put too much salt in, and it tasted nasty!!! (although, having never tried any kind of sauerkraut, I'm not sure what it SHOULD taste of...)

I brushed that off and tried the carrot and ginger recipe from my Nourishing Traditions book, but that went mouldy on the top after 5 days!!

Grrrr!!! I keep reading how good it is for you, and I am trying to convince hubby that it's a good idea, but all he sees at the mo, is me wasting food!!!

Anyway, I am not going to be beaten, and I will try again soon, and for those of you who are better at these things than me, here is the recipe I was using!

Lacto-fermented Carrots and ginger
Ingredients
4 cups grated carrots
1 tbs grated ginger
1 tbs salt
4 tbs whey (if not available, use extra tbs salt)

Put all ingredients into a bowl, and use a mallet, or your clean hand to release the juices out of the ingredients.
Place in a wide mouth mason jar, and push ingredients down so the juices cover the carrots. The juices need to be at least an inch above the carrots. 
Cover tightly and leave at room temperature for about 3 days, before transferring to cold storage.

Sounds great, now if i can just get it to work for me......



No comments:

Post a Comment