Thursday 6 March 2014

No 'poo update.

So I thought I'd give you a no 'poo update. Just in case you are interested....

So the last time I washed my hair with shampoo was a week last Saturday. No, I'm not dirty, I washed it yesterday, but not with shampoo. I have learnt from my previous mistakes and prepared a little better this time round. 

Last year, I tried to go no 'poo, but after about a month, the waxy build-up on my hair was driving me crazy!!! I had found out, (thanks to Google) that it was because of our hard water, and i tried to make adjustments for it, but it was too late, the wax was there, and nothing but shampoo was getting that baby out!

I was regretful, because I really wanted it to work, but that was that. 

Skip to this year, and I had read Red and Honey's challenge to quit shampoo for a month, and I thought I would give it another go. If it failed again, at least it was only a month of grease that I would have had to have put up with!!

So I gathered my info and my Baking Soda rinse and my Vinegar rinse and my comb and oil (I'll tell you my method in a mo) and headed to the bathroom, last Wednesday. I had already gone for 4 days without washing it at this point, and it was a little greasy, I must say. Like, you could even tell in a ponytail, kind of greasy!

I boiled my water for my BS rinse, as per tips for hard water, and put it to cool on the windowsill. I used white vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar this time, as my hair is very thin, even though there is lots of it, and the apple cider was a little heavy for my hair. I also read a tip that if you comb through your hair while the vinegar rinse is still in it, it helps to move the oils down your hair and to lift the gunk and dirt that is trapped.
I also read that  a TINY drop of Jojoba oil combed through the ends while wet can help to moisturize, so I tried that too. 


And it is working so far!!!!

My roots are soft and shiny, where before they were waxy and I couldn't stand to touch them!!!


And my length is healthy looking and shiny too!

I know it is only been a week and a half, but I am so very pleased so far!!

I also have to say, my investment in a 100% boar Bristle Brush has helped hugely!!! I have also learnt that only a TINY bit of oil is needed, after making the mistake of putting a LITTLE bit of oil on the first time, and when it dried, having to plait my hair for 3 days!! 

My method 
I comb my hair before I get in the shower, to get any knots out. I wet my whole hair, and use my squirty bottle to direct my BS rinse over my scalp. I scrub my scalp with my fingers to lift any dirt, and to achieve the all important "slippery" feeling. (This shows that the BS is working) I leave that to soak in for a few mins, then rinse thoroughly, so I'm not left with any white flakes when dry (majorly attractive look...) and then I douse a little vinegar rinse on the top of my head, but concentrate mainly on my ends with this. I have also mixed some peppermint essential oils into it, because I like the smell. I then use a fine tooth comb to comb through my whole hair. I sometimes see grey gunk coming out on the teeth of the comb, this is good, this is excess sebum coming off my hair. I do this for about 3-4 mins and then rinse. I then pit a TINY bit of oil into my hands and rub together (Like, TINY. I turn the bottle upside down against my palm and turn it right back up.) then I smooth the ends of my hair between my palms. I rinse my hair one last time in warm water, and then, with my hair under the shower, I gradually turn off the hot tap until just the cold is on my hair, to seal it. (I can't stand this for long, so this is just a dip!!!) then I towel dry, comb, and allow to air dry. 

I am very pleased so far, and I don't have the usual dry ends that I had with shampoo, or the crazy itchy scalp, either!!

What, with this and my AMAZING homemade Deodorant, I am very pleased with personal care at the moment! May I not have spoken too soon......

No comments:

Post a Comment