Wednesday 12 February 2014

Weekly obsession

I have been running on empty on the music front for a long while now, but a few months ago, I felt led to start up a new worship group at our church.

At first, I didn't want to, because I have had no love of singing for the last 6 months at least. As a singer for my whole life, and a worship leader in church, this is obviously a problem. It was borne out of others' expectations of me, I think, and a bit of burnout ("No" needs to be said in church, just like any other walk of life)

About the same time, I found the most amazing band, who sing without instruments, (a Capella) and they are called Pentatonix. They are 5 american singers, Scott, Mitch, Kirstie, (vocals) Avi (Bass) and Kevin(beatboxer extraordinaire). 

With a background in musical theater, harmonies and intricate vocal arrangements have always caught my attention, and fire me like nothing else, so the songs these guys do, their arrangements and the things they can do with their voices has inspired me, and brought back a love of singing that I thought was lost. 

At the moment, their rendition of "Payphone" by Maroon 5 is on repeat in my head, and has become my weekly obsession!! I am thankful for their music, as I am thinking more creatively. I'm also using my voice more, instead of sitting on it, so no-one uses it for their own gain! (yes, that happens in church too!!)

I just have to thank God that He knows just what to use to inspire in us all exactly what He requires, and that His gifts don't depend on our gratefulness!

Check them out on Youtube. 


No comments:

Post a Comment