Wednesday 26 June 2013

Happy Birthday Smudge!

My Little Smudge is 11 today!

I can't believe it! where did the time go???? 

We always tell "The Birth Story" on birthdays in our house. Little bud is different because, as he's adopted, we have his "Gotcha Day" story instead, about the day he came to live with us. 

Smudge's birth story was that he was our rainbow baby. I have a history of very large babies, something we didn't realise until in the middle of giving birth to my daughter!!! (A harrowing tale for another time...) 
Because of this, I was checked, scanned and monitored very closely through the next 2 pregnancies, and when I was scanned at 37 weeks, and he was measuring 9lb1oz, they decided to induce me at 38 weeks! (As an older and wiser mama now, this is not something I would allow now, however I was 22 and easily swayed by the authority of the midwife and doctors.)

The labour it's self was pretty straight forward, but the panic of the midwives when I was ready to push caused him to get stuck. (that, and the fact that they had AGAIN put me on my side, and although I have broad hips, that sucker was not budging that way.) I managed to tell them I want to be on my back and when I moved, so did he!

The result was a very blue faced, Beautiful baby that weighed exactly 10lb!!!! 

Over the course of the next few days, his face went from blue to purple, then to red, then to yellow, as he developed jaundice (!) and then finally to a plump pink! Hence the rainbow baby.

So, as we do every year, I retold the Birth story, and Smudge snuggled in and smiled as he listened. See, some family traditions just make you feel home......

Happy Birthday Smudge x 

No comments:

Post a Comment