Thursday 23 May 2013

My Grace is Enough...

So I was talking yesterday about how I was re-thinking school in the Gee house, and I thought I would tell you how we came to take our children out of main stream school and educate them at home.

It was 2 years ago this August, when my eldest girl, Boo, was about to go up to secondary school. We had been watching a US program (I am an American who happened to be trapped in an English born body!!) about a very LARGE family and it mesmerized me. How this Christian family managed to be nice to one another, to help one another AND to be home-schooled had me floored, especially as, at the time, I hated the summer hols as the kids drove me CRAZY! (My Abba Father has done such a work in me!!)

As Boo was headed up to "big" school, I was really concerned at just what they would teach my daughter, as Evolution is taught as fact in UK schools. It was when watching the Big family program that I felt I heard the Lord clearly tell me "that's what I want of you". So began a Moses type dialogue that went something like this...
" Are you kidding, Abba??" 
"Not at all, my darling, I want you to teach your children about me"
"Abba, I go crazy being with them for a half term, let alone full time!!"
"I know, but I can change that"
"I can't do it, Abba!!"
"Then take a look at 2 Corinthians 12:9"

As I looked at that scripture, I found that God wasn't asking me to do it alone, and that he would use my weaknesses to show his Glory through me!

Well, I was learning all about submission, so I approached my sweetheart about it and, as I am a bit of an ideas girl, with little fruition, he was not overly keen at first. As I showed him the curriculum I had found, he warmed up, seeing I really was serious about it, but would only agree to the boys being schooled, as Boo wants to be a doctor, and the curriculum at this point didn't go that far, so I left it with the Lord, if He had said it, then He would have to work on my sweetie's heart to do it. 

So, January 2012, our 2 boys began our home-ed adventure!!!!

It was only a few months later, due to some horrid incidences at school, Boo joined her brothers at Easter. Our youngest has stayed on at school for a while longer.

We have been at this homeschooling lark for 18 months now, and I can categorically say that God has shown himself strong in my weaknesses, that I LOVE being with my kids and that it is the best decision we made as a family, for our family, and although there are bad days, crazy days, days when I want to go lay on my bed, read a good book and ignore the "MUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMM" shouts coming from the table, I love homeschooling my precious gifts from the Lord!!!!

How about you? Is homeschooling something you have considered or have you known all along??? Leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment