Monday 13 May 2013

Could I? Should I?

For a while now, I have been trying to move our family over to a less processed, more natural diet, and it all started with the dog.....

Well, i took my beautiful boxer, Poppy, to be weighed in a well known pet store and was told she was underweight. Poppy is a small boxer for her breed and very lean, but perfectly in proportion. I went home and was a little disturbed by this, so I began to look at what is the best diet for a dog. 

I came across lots of different diets, but the one that really struck me was the Raw Prey Model diet. This is based on the premise that dogs, while now domesticated, have retained their genetics from the wolf and are carnivores. Most dog illnesses come from an intolerance to the grain that is in every commercial dog food, as dogs' digestive systems cannot digest grain. 

With a bit more research, we finally made the jump to feeding raw meat and bone, raw fish and eggs. Poppy has been on it for a over a year now, and has never looked better. The vet said recently that she can't believe how shiny her coat is, and how healthy she is. 

This got us thinking though, that the dog now probably has a better diet than we have!!!

After talking with my fellow cohorts at our local Home Ed group, we decided to overhaul our very processed, very convenient diet and move to home cooked, made from scratch meals. 

It has been amazing and the difference in taste has been SO obvious. (who knew sweet and sour sauce is brown, not ORANGE!!!)

I've been doing a lot more reading lately though and have been looking at how the preparation of grains, nuts and beans has to be just right, otherwise they may actually cause more harm than good, by drawing essential nutrients AWAY from the body! 

I am jumping on board with this, but then to look further, i was looking at the GAPS  diet and I don't know if that is just a step to far for us at the moment, although there is lots of good information here. 

See what you think. Is it something you have ever thought of? Leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment