Monday 27 January 2014

Oil Pulling...Yummmmyy!!???

I have real trouble with my teeth. 

All of my life, my teeth have been very soft, along with my bones and nails, which bend. (my nails, not my bones. I think.)

I have come to believe that this is to do with my diet, and the INCREDIBLY sweet tooth I have always had, and am now doing something about it. 

However, sometimes, we have to expect the consequences of our former actions.

So I have had a filling fall out recently, and I keep getting a very sore gum, and a small abscess that keeps coming and going, and it stops me eating sometimes!!

I have always used mouthwash to deal with any infections previously, but since starting this real food, greener living lifestyle, I am a little reticent to put something in my mouth that is a) full of Fluoride, and b) makes my mouth burn and strips it of saliva!!! (can NOT be good!!!)

My search inevitably started on Google, as most of my queries do, and I came across Oil Pulling. At first I was like, "You do WHAT!?" but the more I looked at it, I started to think that anything must be worth a try, to get rid of this current infection. (Did I mention my extreme fear of dentists??).

The first day, I tried it with the only oil I had in the house, which was olive oil. I used a tsp of it, and put it in my mouth and swilled, like mouthwash. I have to say, the texture wasn't as bad as I had thought, but I could not keep it going for more than about 7 mins before needing to swallow, so I spat it out. As the tutorials say, it should be milky white. Well, obviously, I didn't do it for long enough because it was still yellow oil, very thin, as it gets mixed with your saliva, but not what it should be. 

The first thing I realized though, was why they say to do it on an empty stomach!! the taste of the Olive oil, which I enjoy normally, was sat at the back of my throat, and made me gag a little!! If I had've eaten breakfast, I would definitely have lost it!!!

The next day, I tried again, and got to 10 mins, and no gagging. From there, I have had 2 more days, and and am getting better. I have reached the milky white, and my gum really is starting to feel better. I have some coconut oil coming this week, so I may try with that, instead.

I am always interested to try new things, and some things just need to become acquired tastes, because the benefits outweigh the discomforts.... like oil pulling, for instance.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment